Gallery, whose mouth hole is still preserved today as a technical monument
The Romans already did mining in the valley of the Emsbach. Later the archbishops of Trier increased their income with the silver found in Ems. Because of the industrialisation in the 18th/19th century metal was urgently needed. The relation between mines and spa weren’t always trouble-free: water was diverted, dark clouds of smoke were produced, and thus the continuing conflict between rather differing economic branches was smouldering. In the area of the town the entrance to the “Stadtstollen” (tunnel) is still visible. It was started in 1869, is about 750 metres long and is the main drainage tunnel.