Protestant parish church

Short facts

  • Nassau
  • churches/monasteries

The Protestant St John's Church is dedicated to St John the Baptist.

The origins of St John's Church date back to the 10th century. During the Second World War, the church was almost completely destroyed apart from the tower. The tower in late Romanesque style dates back to the 12th century. Early Gothic elements are visible in the western part of the nave and consist of a cross vault with pointed arches. One of the oldest bells in the region from 1480, the early Gothic octagonal baptismal font and numerous tombstones from the 15th/17th century, including those of the Baron vom Stein family, have been preserved. The tombstones are located on the northern inner wall of the church. Originally, the gravestones were located on the grounds around the church. The altar and pulpit date from the 17th century.

In 1917, the bells of St John's Church were confiscated for war purposes. Only the oldest and largest bell, the "Marienglocke", was spared and remained in the church. It was cast in front of the people of Nassau in 1480 due to transport difficulties. In 1922, 2 new bronze bells were brought in to replace the confiscated bells.

The nave dates from the 1930s. The rebuilt church has windows by the Diez artist Rudolf Fuchs and the painter Heinz Hindorf from 1950/60.

On the map

Kettenbrückstraße 6

56370 Nassau

Next steps