Nikolaus Chapel

Short facts

  • Geisig
  • churches/monasteries

Evang. Church Geisig

The view of the Protestant St. Nicholas Chapel and the fire station (formerly the school barn) in the centre of the village is characteristic of Geisig. The church was built in the 16th century by an ancestor of the famous Freiherr vom und zum Stein. It served as the village school for over 90 years in the 19th and early 20th centuries, so a school barn was also built in the immediate vicinity. From 1910 to 1913, the building was converted back into a place of worship. Today it is a listed building and during the last interior renovation in 2001 it received a remarkable ceiling design in the chancel by the artist Iris Minor. The school barn was converted into a fire station in 1986, whereby the original character of the building was preserved.

On the map

56357 Geisig

Next steps